There are important legal protections available to victims of car accidents to help them with the damages suffered in a car accident. To help preserve these important protections, car accident victims should know what to do after they have been injured.
Important steps to take following a car accident include:
- Remain at the scene – to begin with, it is important to remain at the scene and may also be illegal not to do so if injuries or other damage is involved. Car accident victims should, of course, always immediately seek whatever medical care and emergency assistance is needed following a car accident.
- Contact the police – it is important to contact police following a car accident to ensure any needed emergency services are able to respond to the accident but it is also important to summon police to the accident because they will generate a police report of the accident which can be important to have later.
- Talk to witnesses and exchange information – it is important to obtain contact information from witnesses to the car accident whenever possible. Parties to the accident should also exchange information following it.
- Take photos of the accident – whenever possible, photos of the car accident should be taken to document the scene and the damage.
- Keep track of medical records – it is important for car accident victims to carefully record and document all of the medical care and treatment they receive related to their injuries suffered in a car accident. They should also carefully keep track of all of their medical expenses related to the car accident and the injuries they have suffered. Additionally, it can be useful for car accident victims to keep a diary or journal of their injuries and medical treatment they have received.
- Notify your insurance company – it is important for car accident victims to notify their insurance carrier of the accident. In addition, car accident victims should view with caution any settlement offers they receive from insurance companies until they know that their rights are protected.
A personal injury claim for damages following a car accident can help car accident victims recover compensation for their physical, financial and emotional damages such as medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering damages. As a result, it is important for car accident victims to understand their rights and how to protect them when they have been harmed by a negligent driver which includes knowing what to do after a car accident.