Car accident victims should know how to protect themselves following a car accident. Part of that is knowing what steps to take after they have been injured by a negligent driver in a car accident.
Steps to take following a car accident:
- Remain at the scene – though it can be emotional and overwhelming to be the victim of an unexpected car accident, it is important to remain at the scene of the accident and is also typically illegal to leave the scene of a car accident when there has been injuries or property damage.
- Seek medical care and treatment – it is important for car accident victims to promptly seek the medical care and treatment they need and to seek whatever emergency services are needed following a car accident.
- Contact the police – it is also important for car accident victims to contact the police. It is helpful for victims to have a police report concerning their accident and summoning the police to the scene of the accident will help ensure a record of the accident is created.
- Exchange information – car accident victims should ensure they exchange information at the scene with those involved in the accident.
- Obtain information from witnesses – additionally, it is essential for car accident victims to obtain witness information at the scene of the accident whenever possible.
- Take photos of the scene – car accident victims should take photos of the car accident scene whenever possible.
- Report the accident to insurance – car accident victims should report their car accident to their insurance company but should also be generally aware of settlement offers from insurance companies and should ensure they fully understand any settlement offers.
- Keep a record of medical care received – car accident victims should keep careful track of the medical care and treatment they receive and the costs of their medical care and treatment. In addition, they may also find it useful to keep a personal journal record of their injuries.
It is important for car accident victims to know what to do following a car accident to preserve a personal injury claim for damages which can help with their physical, financial and emotional damages. Car accident victims should understand the legal protections and remedies available to them when harmed in an accident and how what they do following a car accident can impact the same.